September 9, 2019

Book Review: UNREAL by Phil McDonald


You think you know someone, until you read about ‘all those years you missed’, means you don’t!

More often than not, I don’t get caught up with details of a story, probably because I don’t retain facts well anymore.  But the non-stop drama in UNREAL was so gripping and compelling that I’m sure I read every word.  I lost sleep because I couldn’t put it down until I finished it.  

Lots of descriptive words for the author came to mind at the conclusion of this read, ie. Transparent, brave, faithful, foolish, daring, intelligent, compassionate, American (not ugly) …  Some of those should not be a surprise to a close friend, but while reading this memoir, they became more alive with vivid word pictures of jungles, snakes, other lands, rich colors of the Orient, Middle eastern cuisine and strange foods, near escapes, disease and protection of family.  Of course I can't leave out "lions" and "pirates"!

I certainly would loved to have read UNREAL many years ago before we left the states with our children to live cross-culturally.  I highly recommend it as a must read for anyone preparing to live outside the United States.  The 60 principles Phil learned and shared would be invaluable to take to heart for a serious student in preparation for successful overseas work and living.  They are easily referenced throughout, but do not take away from the story line at all. 

Additionally, the adventures of this unique, precious American family who raised their children in and out of the States can be such an encouragement to any family meeting 21st century challenges wherever they live.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=unreal+by+phil+mcdonald&crid=3DIXSIIM6TWHM&sprefix=Unreal+by%2Caps%2C162&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

No comments: